About Me

I used to be a UNIX systems admin, but got tired of the corporate games. Now I work for myself. I'm still good with the computers, though (grin).

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I'm not the only one! (sorry, Melissa)



Air traveler choked to death in police custody at Phoenix airport after being handcuffed, detained

So you think I'm overreacting by accusing the USA of having become a Police State?

Read the above link. When I first read the story this op piece refers to, I thought that there must be more to it. After all, I used to own a pair of handcuffs, and have had my hands cuffed behind my back. There just ain't no way for you to strangle yourself with your hands cuffed behind your back, short of being a professional contortionist, or having both arms broken. One of the reasons that hands are cuffed behind the back is to prevent harm TO SELF or others. Just ask a cop.

Now, after having read the above article, I don't feel so alone in my initial discomfort with the official "explanation" given for this woman's death. A third party's involvement is a LOT more likely than what has been offered as an explanation. Especially since disturbing the peace is not likely to cause life changing punishment. The now DEAD woman had no reason to commit suicide, and I have very serious doubts that she would have been able to overcome the pain needed to dislocate her own joints in order to strangle herself.

Someone is lying, and the only ones talking are with the government goon squads. She can't talk. She is dead.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "Once you have eliminated the impossible, what ever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." It is certain that the probability of someone (with authority) killing this woman is much higher than the probability that she killed herself. I think it is impossible for her to have done so.

It wouldn't be the first time that color of authority was used to commit murder, or to escape responsibility for it. But it would be the first recorded example of suicide by handcuff that I've seen.

Update 10/05/2007 00:30

News reports indicate that a private investigator hired by the deceased woman's family has disclosed that there were multiple bruises on her body, some of which showed patterns consistent with the chains on her restraints. He did not expound on the specific locations of the bruises. Some of the bruises were not consistent with the chains, but may have been caused during her arrest. No report of possible sexual abuse. Determination of cause of death is awaiting toxicology tests.

I still want to know how she managed to asphyxiate herself, given that the ability to maintain a choke hold would not persist after unconsciousness.

The original report and subsequent report say that she was "shackled" to a bench. I don't understand how someone can maneuver their hands from behind their back to the front and then strangle themselves while shackled to a bench! Even just handcuffs behind the back are difficult to move to the front, but to do so while chained to a bench is unbelievable.

There has to be more to this.

conhed



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: