About Me

I used to be a UNIX systems admin, but got tired of the corporate games. Now I work for myself. I'm still good with the computers, though (grin).

Friday, September 21, 2007

A change of tone

I have written about much that is wrong in the world and our nation. Probably not as much as many other bloggers, but it's time to write about some things that are good and right, at least for me.

Good things abound. Most of my life was pretty darned good. I had a few loving relationships, there were some that I called friends over the years, and I still have friends that I had loving relationships with for a while. I've met some good and decent human beings of all colors, faiths and gender.

While there are those I disagree with, I count very few on a list of those I would wish harm upon, and I don't know any of them personally. Those that I would wish harm upon are already incarcerated for the same reasons I would wish them harm. They are lucky to be in jail, I guess. I wouldn't want to be one of my enemies.

There are some I despise for their apathy or stupidity. Luckily, they are not aware of my despite, mostly because they don't have any inclination or ability to actually get involved in any cerebral activity like reading or writing. They don't consider themselves deep thinkers (rightly so, amazingly!), so even if they were to read me, they wouldn't realize that it is them I am talking about. I count that as a blessing.

So what is good?

A smile from a stranger.

A kind word or deed, unanticipated and unexpected, sometimes undeserved.

Children asking questions, trying hard to grow up.

People doing the right thing for the right reason.

Honesty and integrity in public officials (Yes, it does exist!)

Police officers who are dedicated and underpaid, who have been smeared by the actions of a bad few, putting their lives on the line for people who don't appreciate them (Yes there are good cops, most of them are, but they need to be vigilant and protect themselves by NOT protecting the bad ones) or understand the difficulties inherent in being entrusted with the use of force.

Music that doesn't condemn people or condone violence (Beach Boys, The Beatles, Bach, Beethoven, you get the idea) or preach a political sermon. If I want politics, I'll talk to a politician.

Movies that entertain without embarrassing parents when their children watch.

Consenting adults engaged in whatever it is that they consent to. There's no need for me to pass judgment if they both (all) agree, as long as that activity doesn't hurt someone else and doesn't involve children. (I'm not interested in your moral judgment of them, either, and shame on you for thinking that you are that important to me.)

Freedom.

Kittens and puppies.

Butterflies.

Daisies.

Roses.

Whales.

Mountains and beaches.

A sweet, kind, grown woman; a bottle of wine; and moonlight on a beach.

Having the self confidence to bare soul and body to strangers without shame.

Having the knowledge and wisdom to not regret having done something stupid, and to not repeat it. And using it to learn and teach.

The ability to recognize an error you made, apologize, move forward and make amends if needed.

The ability to be graceful and humble when proven correct. You might be wrong the next time.

Agreeing to disagree when there is no way to come to an agreement. Someone will be proven correct in the course of time. Patience will be your friend more than shrilly repeating your position, and people will respect your restraint even when they disagree with you.

Someone who lets you, with your two items, jump ahead of them, and their cartload, at the checkout. Manners and courtesy grease this sand clogged machine called society.

The ability to recognize rude behavior and return the favor. It is invigorating to watch someone with wit demolish a rude person. It is also quite appropriate to tell someone to go to hell if they abuse your good nature, but be careful not to abuse other people's good nature in doing so.

Art and architecture that are original and actually evoke an emotional response in the viewer, to the viewers benefit. Most of what passes as art is junk, meaningless, ordinary or just plain ugly.

Candy, cake, pie, ice cream and toothache-inducing sweet iced tea.

Computers, blogs and well reasoned and written commentary.



What are your favorite good things?

conhed





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: